[OT] interaction devices {was: Re: Held an OLPC laptop today!]

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Tue May 1 04:00:34 UTC 2007

Alejandro, Cees,

Thanks for suggestions. I have been long postponing to get a tablet, and the
multitouch screen is very interesting. But I have to say I came to conclusion
that any device that does not give 3 dimensional feedback, such as "grow a
handle" (literally) when I want to grab it, or give a physical 3D touch feel
(sort of vr gloves) is probably not the right direction.  I want to "grab"
things, not "touch" them on a flat background. But I realize that may be a
long wait, and good touch-type devices is a good solution. (I think even the
first writing tools were 3 dimensional in a way - making grooves in clay as
opposed to writing on flat papyrus)

Bret mentioned that next generation of the laptop may have a touch screen
which will be great.

Milan