[ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:18:16 UTC 2007

I'm on win2k pro and as soon as I install the DLLs from the Universe
Browser, the Squeak screen goes black and the processor pegs 100%. If
I press Ctrl+., the processor relents, but I don't get a refresh.

Troubleshooting steps:

Started with fresh Win32 download and Damien's squeak-web-118.image.
Open Package Universe Browser.
When the Preamble progress bar appears for Installing FreeType Plugins
0.13, Squeak stops responding. If I bring another window across it, it
doesn't redraw the screen.

At this point, I kill the Squeak process (after waiting several
minutes). Looking in the Squeak directory, I see I have a package
cache from the Universe Browser and these files copied in:

BitBltPlugin.dll
freetype6.dll
ft2plugin.dll
msvcr71.dll
credits.txt

Restarting any Squeak image at this point will show only a blank
screen (tried several of mine and Squeak3.9-final-7067.image). So I
think something isn't working at the VM level with the plugins.

I also recreated by trying again and only installing the Plugins. Same result.

I also tried clearing out my fonts (fell back to Arial, Times New
Roman, Courier, Symbol, and Wingdings, a la Windows 3.1; albeit with
OpenType). Also tried rebooting (I am on Windows).

Any ideas?

, starting any squeak image (even if I copy back an image without