[ANN] Nile: a trait-based stream library

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 17:48:29 UTC 2007

>From: "Lukas Renggli" <renggli at gmail.com>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: [ANN] Nile: a trait-based stream library
>Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 15:42:43 +0200
>
>I had a look at your implementation and it really looks nice. I have
>some feature requests ;-)
>
>- The current Squeak Stream implementation lacks the possibility (and
>it is difficult to do so in a clean way) to wrap streams with other
>streams. What I would like to be able to do wrappers that encode,
>decode (URL, HTML, BASE64, Cryptography, ...), filter, select,
>collect, parse streams in different ways.  See [1] for some examples.
>The wrapping could also be used to provide synchronization on shared
>streams.
>
>[1] http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/PatternStories/FunWithStreams

The things mentioned in "FunWithStreams" look a lot like my LazyList
implementation.   For example, it talks about collect and select having
issues because the stream may be infinite.  And the suggested solution is to
return a new kind of stream that "decorates" the previous stream.  This is
just how the LazyList implementation works.  It is just that instead of
"SelectCollection", it always returns a new LazyList option that decorates
the previous one.

So you might have a look at the project to get some ideas. :)