multilingual A-macron howto ?

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu May 3 20:01:09 UTC 2007

Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :
>   Nicolas,
>
>> I wonder how a A-macron (Character value: 256) or a-macron (Character
>> value: 257) would display in Squeak.
>>
>> I have no extended latin font loaded in the image, but it seems to me
>> that those characters would be interpreted as EndOfRun or CrossedX when
>> i read the code in
>> (Multi)CharacterScanner>>scanMultiCharactersFrom:to:in:rightX:stopConditions:kern:
>>
>> (encoding = 0 and: [ascii < stopConditions size and: [(stopConditions
>> at: ascii + 1) ~~ nil]]) ifTrue: [^ stops at: ascii + 1].
>>
>> Am i wrong or is this a known problem?
>
>   The stopCondition logic comes from some ancient time, and it simply
> use a few values above 255 for internal purpose to indicate what to do
> when "EndOfRun" or "CrossedX" happens.
>
>   To display (Character value: 256) or a-macron (Character value:
> 257)...  I actually haven't made a font file for these range of
> characters, but you should be able to load (for example) a TrueType
> font with these glyphs.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Yes the single byte ages. Quite sure I saw the trick in st80 v2.3.

The bug is theoretical for me, it's just by reading code.
French do not use a-macron.
Trusting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macron very few languages do,
mostly some latin transliterations.

Maybe that would be a problem in a framework like Sophie.
So I tried running Sophie to check if corrected there.
Unfortunately my old linux base PC fails to run it correctly.
The bug is in Sophie image, but I am not even sure the code is used.

I do not feel like crawling in FreeType plugin, VM version, or other
time-consuming funless activity just to check for such a minor problem.

So the issue will stay opened until a real a-macron user shows some
motivated interest.

Thanks anyway for taking care of answering

Nicolas