multilingual A-macron howto ?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 4 02:03:51 UTC 2007

> After saving the book, then reloading, the bug does not show anymore.
> Exploring the book, i find A-macron and a-macron characters are now:
>
> 16r3FC00100 and 16r3FC00101 instead of 16r100 (256) and 16r101 (257)
>
> So I guess this is a work around for what was a known bug.
> Or is it a coincidence?
>
> nicolas

Yes they would come in as 16r3FC00100 and 16r3FC00101 because they
are converted to UTF8 on save, then later read back as UTF8 and
converted to unicode.

How about sending me the book (not the list) and I'll look at it.
Does the characters displayed look correct?

> string
>     at: 3 put: (Character value: 256);
>     at: 7 put (Character value: 257).

Well normally you would enter the data using the keyboard, I'm not
sure exactly what would end up in the string slots as a result of
keyboard entry, it might not be 16r100.

> Well, my french keyboard is not really configured as french.
> a-grave, e-grave, e-acute, currency, paragraph, c-cedilla don't
> render as expected.

If you could supply a Sophie book, and tell us what you think the
values should be we'll look into why they are not what you expect.
Since you are
on LInux I'm not exactly sure where the character code and/or unicode
is coming from. I would have to look. It's possible of course it's
broken. Still then I would think
this is a problem for any user of the the Unix VM.