multilingual A-macron howto ?

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Fri May 4 19:55:38 UTC 2007

John M McIntosh a écrit :

>> After saving the book, then reloading, the bug does not show anymore.
>> Exploring the book, i find A-macron and a-macron characters are now:
>>
>> 16r3FC00100 and 16r3FC00101 instead of 16r100 (256) and 16r101 (257)
>>
>> So I guess this is a work around for what was a known bug.
>> Or is it a coincidence?
>>
>> nicolas
>

> Yes they would come in as 16r3FC00100 and 16r3FC00101 because they are
> converted to UTF8 on save, then later read back as UTF8 and
> converted to unicode.
>
> How about sending me the book (not the list) and I'll look at it. Does
> the characters displayed look correct?
>

>> string
>>     at: 3 put: (Character value: 256);
>>     at: 7 put (Character value: 257).
>
> Well normally you would enter the data using the keyboard, I'm not sure
> exactly what would end up in the string slots as a result of keyboard
> entry, it might not be 16r100.

Hi john,
I do not know how to type a-macron? Is there a compose key on the
keyboard? If so we could maybe type compose _ a, or compose - a.

Other ways like importing from external format (rtf, clipboard, ...)
must also be checked.

>> Well, my french keyboard is not really configured as french.
>> a-grave, e-grave, e-acute, currency, paragraph, c-cedilla don't render
>> as expected.
>
> If you could supply a Sophie book, and tell us what you think the values
> should be we'll look into why they are not what you expect.  Since you are
> on LInux I'm not exactly sure where the character code and/or unicode is
> coming from. I would have to look. It's possible of course it's broken.
> Still then I would think
> this is a problem for any user of the the Unix VM.

Yes, what is in the string is what is displayed.
Just not what I typed.
So the book won't be of any help.

Knowing this does not occur with my 3.8 image (i can type éèàç§...), I
just tried various VM with various images.

It appears to be the -encoding latin1 vm option that scramble my
keyboard input. I don't know if this is expected behaviour, but in this
case, why to put this option in Sophie.sh?

Nicolas