Towards 3.91

Simon Kirk squeak at simonkirk.com
Sun May 6 17:14:34 UTC 2007

[snip]

> I do not think that it is helpful to plan 3.11 until a) we have a
> process, and b) we have a framework for specifying what is wanted. I
> have plans to contribute to a) the process and b) the framework for
> collaboratively specifying the future roadmap. Hopefully this little
> 3.9.1 project will serve as an example of how this could be done (or not).
>
> For now I am picking 3.9.1 as a small, manageable and useful task.

"Planning is everything, plans are nothing"
http://tinyurl.com/2xqxjd (www.think-box.co.uk)

Keith, while Edgar has a point about looking to the future, I think that
you are taking absolutely the right approach to concentrate on a small,
manageable (might I say, incremental?) release.

As long as small releases like this are *always* done while keeping one eye
on the future direction (cf the planning part of the quote above) then the
draining and demoralising effect of long-term releases can be avoided by
constantly releasing maneagable chunks.

As a colleague of mine likes to say, "It's not called a big bang release
for nothing".

The converse is of course that if these small releases are not always done
with the future in mind, then a lot of potential is lost. I would suggest
that from what I've read you are very unlikely to do that, and of course
I'm sure there would be a host of people to stop you if you did!

This is a long way of saying "I support the effort you're making, keep up
the good work" :)

Simon