Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 05:19:41 UTC 2007

Dear Craig, Jerome, the board et al.
>      Personally, I'm against people deciding on their own to make
> releases with official-sounding names.

It does not make sense to use any other name for this project than 3.9.1
for the following reason.

The question that I am putting to the community, as reflected in the
question I put to squeak-dev, concerning what fixes people want to see
in 3.9.1, is this:

*"What does the community want to see in 3.9.1 if/when it exists?" *

If the question was, "what do you want to see in 3.9plus", then the
answer would be "anything you like its your image", and that entirely
misses the whole point.

I have put together a forum for discussion and developed some of the
tools for discussing, planning, specifying, automatically generating,
and testing a minor release. The content of that release remains
entirely open for discussion. The password for the site is "viewpoints"
so you can dive straight in.

I am not presenting the community with a release saying this is 3.9.1
take it or rename it. Rather I am presenting the community with an
extremely embryonic process ready to be applied. This process has been
sitting there doing nothing for a few months, so lets use it!

May I reiterate the content is open for discussion, and I think that the
process is also as visible as it can possibly be. You dont even have to
wait for me to generate a build you can do it youself from the command line.

So then,  what if anything /would/ you like to see in an official squeak
3.9.1?

best regards

Keith