[Newbies] Display artifacts in comments/desc.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon May 7 17:23:16 UTC 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 6:14 , subbukk wrote:

> On Monday 30 April 2007 7:12 pm, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> El 4/30/07 10:22 AM, "subbukk" <subbukk at gmail.com> escribió:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I see some artifacts (like []) displayed in comments and
>>> descriptions in
>>> Squeak (3.7-7 vm on Linux, 3.8 image and SqueakV39.sources). I
>>> suspect
>>> the '\r' line terminator in the *.sources file could be causing it.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug?
>>>
>>> TIA .. Subbu
>>
>> I think what could be eliminated if you do Smalltalk
>> removeAllLineFeeds.
>>
>> In Mac , I found this often.
>
> Squeak3.9 handling of CRLF sequences in sources file is defective.

I do not think it is.

> Squeak3.8
> image correctly strips of LF in CRLF while reading in text from
> SqueakV3.sources file. For instance, editStartPage method in
> Scamper uses
> CRLF in SqueakV3.sources file but its Text in codepane strips out LF.

I do not think this is the case.

It is just that images up to 3.8 did not *display* LF chars embedded
in a String because the corresponding glyph in the fonts was blank.
This has been fixed, we should not have invisible characters anymore
(which are very annoying), and this just exposes the problem of LFs
in some method sources. They have been there all along, they just
were not visible.

Reading in code must not strip LFs unless specifically told to,
because it is perfectly valid to embed a LF in a String in source
code if you want to.

- Bert -