Decentralized, Secure, Human-Meaningful: Choose Two

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri May 11 17:42:43 UTC 2007

Hi Tony--

> Systems like Craig's Naiad, if I understand correctly, are
> decentralised and unique, and sacrifice a certain degree of
> human-meaningfulness.

     Naiad distinguishes between name and identity (hence the name,
"Name And Identity Are Distinct"). It adds identity as a first-class
attribute to classes, and leaves the names alone. The identities are
decentralized and totally unmeaningful to humans, while the names are
just as meaningful as they ever were. The system can tell you name for a
particular identity, and vice-versa. The Zooko's Triangle dilemma is
solved by adding a level of indirection.

> This strikes me as the way to go, because tools can help bridge the
> gap to a system just as easy to use as the current centralised class
> dictionary.

     Yes.

     thanks,

-C