[Ann] Nile 0.8.0 available

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:02:56 UTC 2007

On Monday 14 May 2007 10:44 pm, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Nile has nothing to do with File/Directory classes. It's only for
> streaming. Yes, you can stream over a file, but our implementation
> relies on FileDirectory. What Nile aims to replace is ReadStream,
> WriteStream, StandardFileStream, SocketStream, ZipReadStream...
Nile passes the argument it receives via its
NSAbstractFileStream>>setFileName:  method to file primitives for opening a
file, thereby assuming it is a string. This would force callers (see
TTFFontDescription>>setDefault) to use paths like :

   setFileName: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\msgothic.ttf"

to open a stream on a file. This would affect portability.  I believe the
issue is traceable to FileDirectory failing to hide platform-specific aspects
in pathnames. I could be wrong, though.

Subbu