Smoothing Squeak's usability barriers

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Wed May 16 03:11:41 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 5:09 am, Chris Muller wrote:
> I, too, would like to present Squeak in a friendly and constructive
> way, using this great multimedia-authoring software with a built-in
> dynamic language, graphics, software libraries, and even great fonts
> and a collaborative 3D world.  What better than for this system,
> written in itself, to present and describe itself?
You do have a point. I believe blogs are a good way to present the 'aha'
experience but are the first ports of call for someone new to Squeak. The
difficulty I faced when starting with Squeak was that information for
beginners was sparse and all over the place. Many web links went nowhere.
Squeak's wiki pages dont have a visible last-update displayed, so it is not
clear if the discussion is still relevant (e.g. ImageSegments or Modules).
Many of the articles target advanced programmers and leave the kids behind.
Squeakland's projects and tutorials, and their stable plugin were a great
help in getting to grips with Squeak.

But I feel we also need short, quick tutorials in other formats. For instance,
take a look at docs for Xara Xtreme (vector graphics editor) - demos[1],
how-tos [2] and newsletters [3].  The demos and how-tos are short and to the
point. It just took me a couple of hours to grasp what Xara Xtreme is all
about. The community contributions in newsletters sustains freshness, builds
anticipation and brings in many 'aha' experiences.

[1] http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/demos/default.asp.
[2] http://www.xara.com/support/xtreme/hints/)
[3] http://www.xaraxone.com/

Regards .. Subbu