V3dot10 process and meta-problems

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu May 17 10:30:25 UTC 2007

On 5/17/07, Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> V3dot10 process and meta-problems

> Solution finding.
>
> a) Somehow it seems to me that not only should
> changeset be able to automatically become MC package
> updates. It should work the other way also.  You
> should be able to specify a specific diff and have mc
> create a change set that would recreate that
> difference.

MC already supports this, and we are using it.  If you look at the
actual change sets we are loading, you will see that they use MC to
load *.mcd files instead of the usual @.mcz files.  These are
differencial MC files, and are much faster to load than the usual
ones.  Faster, but not fast.

> b) You might need to have two co-located people
> sharing the image creating task so they can spell each
> other.  And increase the possiblity of avoiding either
> of them burning out.  Colocation is to insure a wide
> stream of communication between the two of them.

Yes, it has been a lot of work for Edgar.

> c) IMHO it needs to be admitted that the current
> choice for maintaining an image is not a good final
> choice. Some real deep though needs to be given to
> this by all those who care for the future of
> squeak-dev squeak.

MC clearly has a LONG way to go before it is good enough for
maintaining the image.  If you think the update process is slow now,
you should have seen it before we started using differential package
files (.mcd instead of .mcz)  People are welcome to hack MC and try to
make it faster.  In the meantime, Edgar releases images as well as
updates, and for most people that the best way to get the latest
release.  I don't think he has made an image for 7105 yet.

-Ralph