SegmentationFault in with OmniBrowser

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat May 19 17:54:45 UTC 2007

Damien Cassou wrote:
> The problem is that I can easily reproduce the crash. Just take a
> squeak-dev-beta-123 from
> http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/beta/, and use the 'Package
> Universe Browser' to upgrade to latest OB ('update list from network',
> 'select all upgrades' 'install selection').
>
> Can somebody help me?

Easy. Since the crash is reproducable there is a good chance the
compiler got confused. Looking at the crash dump we can see that
OBButtonModel triggers it upon a push so changing it to:

push
	ContextPart runSimulated:[bar push: self].

has a very good chance to trigger such problems. And indeed: Once you do
this you get an error saying that instances of OBModalFilter aren't
indexable which is raised during simulating OBModalFilter>>selection:.
Looking at the bytecodes (or the decompile) of that method shows that
there is indeed a major problem, plus in a couple of other methods
(noteParent:child: for example).

How it got into this state is a great question, though. Somewhere,
somehow your system is badly screwed up. Given that you have some fairly
experimental Monticello changes in there I think it's a fair guess to
assume that those might be causing the problem.

Cheers,
   - Andreas