Universes or dev image problem?

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun May 20 10:27:16 UTC 2007

David Shaffer <cdshaffer at acm.org> writes:
> In squeak-dev-beta-123 image if I load Seaside from the Package
> Universe Browser I get a walkback when trying to load
>
> 'KomServices-gk.3.mcz'
>
> The walkback is 'Error: file is too short' and, on inspecting the file
> it simply contains the text:
>
> server aborted early
>
> I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Universe config, the dev
> image or simply a temporary failure downloading this file.

It's the last, but there is a bug here, too.

The difficulty is that HTTP download errors are reported in a strange
way.  The core method returns a string instead of a MIMEDocument.
Then, the URL code converts the error message to a MIMEDocument that
starts with the text "error".

Errors should be reported better.  One refactoring would be to make an
"ErrorResult" subclass of MIMEDocument.  Then, the HTTP code could
robustly track which downloads are errors, without breaking
compatibility with code that simply displays the result whether it was
an error or not (e.g., Scamper).

I've posted this issue on Mantis:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6495

I won't do it today; anyone should feel free to beat me to it!

Lex Spoon