[Webteam] Squeak History

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:13:58 UTC 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007 11:06 pm, Alan Kay wrote:
> Dan and I have joked that there is probably at least one line of code
> I wrote for class Paragraph still there. (I did the original version
> in ST-72 -- a one -pager -- but it has been added to and etc., many
> times since by others.)
If objects had a creation timestamp, then historians would have had a field
day :-).

I find it amazing that there is no 'reset' for the program counter. The pc in
the images we use today has been 'ticking' since 1970s spanning across image
suspend/resume, across image replications, across image bootstraps on new
platforms and so on. This makes an image a living digital organism. It comes
alive on a VM, takes in code mutations, replicates itself, records the ideas
of its operators and even colonizes new territories (with external
assistance). With Croquet, it can even reach out to other images and form a
close-knit communities.

I wonder what Roger Penrose or Doug Hofstadter would say about Squeak .. Subbu