Dynabook hw cost

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue May 22 17:33:54 UTC 2007

> My question was open-ended to allow others to describe what they feel
> would represent the best in dynabook hw.

     Ah, but you said the current stuff is unacceptable in various ways,
which to me says that you have some magnitudes in mind that *would* be
acceptable. I always like to know where the finish line is when someone
says we haven't reached it. (Usually it turns out that there isn't one,
people are just never satisifed. :)

> Do you feel the Powerbook is only adequate? a good model, or the best
> out there right now?

     Yes, I'd call it only adequate, but that's an important milestone
after all the painfully inadequate stuff we tortured ourselves with in
the past. :)  I'd also say it's the best thing going right now. The
improvements I'd make are enough battery life to operate full-out for a
person's entire waking day, a modular processor connection design that
allows use in other smaller and larger devices, and a multi-touch display.

     But this is above and beyond the "Dynabook" hardware vision, which
I think has effectively been met already. What's missing is the
software, and a culture that aspires to doing more than reading email.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist