Dynabook hw cost

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Wed May 23 09:10:50 UTC 2007

"Darius Clarke" <socinian at gmail.com> writes:
>    1. Clearly, mentally, we now desire to search, view, organize, and
>    manipulate much more information than can be stored in a Dynabook in any
>    using any current or anticipated portable storage technology and to access
>    that volume of data more quickly than can be transfered to any portable
>    Dynabook. So, in many ways, interconnected, online, hosted, data and
>    processes are more interesting and convenient for time and space than most
>    things a Dynabook can manipulate in isolation.

Networking is important, but I'd put it on a different reason.  Raw
storage capacity of portables is astronomical.  It is routine nowadays
to store full-length movies on a laptop.

Networking remains important, though, for communication.  It's very
powerful to be able to check on wikipedia whenever a question comes to
your mind.  It's really useful to be able to download new software on
demand as the need arises.  And gee, a lot of what people do with
their fancy personal computers, anyway, is sit around and talk chat
groups and post on message boards

Lex