Dynabook hw cost

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Fri May 25 03:35:00 UTC 2007

  Brad,

> The Viewpoints "Steps Toward The Reinvention of Programming" (maybe I'll call the authors "The Gang of 5") does not go
> into detail on what their "metal" consists of. I'd like to find out more of what they are thinking. Maybe they'll start
> with a powerbook and use the XO in parallel. Maybe they have some ideas of building a new platform in parallel with the
> software development.

  I should mention that there are more people working on the project
(in addition to the authors who are committing to the project in
different ways).  The Gang of "5" wouldn't really match what is going on^^;

> General XO specs:

  There was a change on the spec while ago.  The latest one is
available at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#Beta_Test_3_Systems_.28BTest-3.2C_or_B3.29
but the following is the excerpt:

> CPU
>     AMD Geode 400 MHz x86

  AMD Geode LX 433 (should allow 500, I think) Mhz.

> Memory
>     128 Mb 133 MHz DRAM

  256 MB.

> Storage
>     512 Mb SLC NAND Flash memory

  1GB.

> Video
>     693 x 520 pixel color display capable of switching to a 1200 by 900 sunlight-readable monochrome mode

  Did you devide the number by three to get the color resolution?  It
doesn't quite work in that way^^; Take a look at great OLPC screen
simulator by Bert
(http://freudenbergs.de/bert/etoys/OLPC-XO-Display.pr)

> Mouse
>     a touchpad pointing device

  You might add that the touch pad has two "layers".

> Interfaces
>     4 USB ports

  3 are available to the outside.

-- Yoshiki