Non-intuitive target for halo button

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat May 26 13:58:33 UTC 2007

On May 26, 2007, at 15:09 , subbukk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I press red button on a collection of Morphs, the top-most
> morph is
> targetted, but when I press blue button, the halo appears on the
> outermost
> morph. This runs counter to how we 'pick' stuff in real world and I
> find it
> very annoying. Shift-blue gives the right behavior but I wonder how
> many
> people know it.
>
> I wonder which use cases drove the decision to switch the order?

I'd be very surprised if I halo-click a button and it would select
the embedded label instead of the button to be able to move it. In
most cases I am not interested in picking up the components of a
morph, but the morph itself. "Embedding" is considered an advanced
operation in Etoys, so the default is to narrow down the selection
with repeated clicks rather than the opposite.

- Bert -