Wouldn't it be better for the board to have its own mailing list?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 19:08:10 UTC 2007

Wouldn't it be better for the board to have its own
mailing list?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your response.

This seems to be getting off on the wrong track.

It was important to point out the the current
mechanism wasn't being used.
IMO Some other mechanism needs to be tried. And one
that works needs eventually to be found.

Posting to this this thread has been educational and
illuminating.

***
>Wouldn't it be better for the board to have its own
mailing list?

>Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
>Sun May 27 09:34:15 UTC 2007
>

>Hi Jerome--
>
>> The .../article/64.html URL has all of 3 posts to
it;
>> spanning less than a month in time and that month
was
>> October 2006. This indicates something.
>>
>> I don't need know exactly what is wrong. Something
IS
>> wrong. Its not a place I would care to put
something
>> that needs to be attended to.
>
>     That's just silly. All it means is that people
haven't been posting
>agenda items there. I read that page before every
board meeting, and
>I've mentioned it here on squeak-dev repeatedly.

I don't see why my reasoning is silly.  Its not tight
logical reasoning granted. But it is pattern based.

Assuming there are agenda items that the public wants
the board to consider.
No one is using the spot you have repeatedly told them
to use.
The pattern suggest there is something that causes
that spot to be avoided.
You can say no one cares, but I would suspect
something else is at work.

>> If the board needs a private list for private
>> discussion, it also needs a public list for
>> discussions with the public. A place for the public
>> post agenda requests...
>
>     A mailing list would be horrible for that. A
editable persistent
>site is the right thing.

How do you know this?  I am not saying you are wrong.
But I will claim the proper answer has not been found.
And the experiments to find it have not been tried.

>> ...And public discussions of agenda topics and
other board related
>> topics.  You could do it on squeak-dev but as you
say its a
>> haystack.
>
>     I don't think a board mailing list would be any
better.

You may be right. I just wanted to point out a problem
with the current method.

>And if you think it's a haystack, just use a threaded
reader. I recommend Mozilla
>Thunderbird's newsreader connected to
Note this is
>not an invitation to have an endless discussion about
mail and news
>readers (if one ensues, I will simply kill the
resulting thread with my
>threaded reader :).

Even threads may wander off topic. In any event the
haystack analogy is a stretch and I'd rather withdraw
it than defend it. If you are suggesting that the
public discuss board issues on squeak-dev then I have
no complaint with that. I also don't mind if you find
a persistant forum for this kind of thing.  But the
proof that it works should be that it gets used.

>> I look forward to seeing how you and the board
resolve
>> this.
>
>     Ken's not on the board, by the way (but I'm
thankful for his
>suggestions).

Opps. Wishful thinking. (I have a high regard for Ken
and his contributions.)

Thanks again for your consideration.