Balloon 3D

Tim Johnson trilobyte at hoe.nu
Mon May 28 16:55:09 UTC 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I'd bet that Balloon3D's software renderer is at least as fast as
> Mesa's. Both are currently too slow for the OLPC (which runs at
> 1200x900x16 on a performance-challenged 400 Mhz CPU). That's why
> Mesa is not shipped on the OLPC system.

I just happened to have played with Alice and the Bunny in Squeak 3.4
on a Pentium 166 laptop running Windows 98 SE *yesterday*.  In that
little postage-stamp sized window of the "Play With Me" demo,
performance was surprisingly snappy.  I got about five frames per
operation (bunny turn: left, etc.).  Almost seemed faster than
Morphic on the poor thing...

Cheers,
Tim