Universes/SqueakMap Separation? (was Re: Fun with Symbol)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:00:34 UTC 2007

2007/5/28, Alan Lovejoy <squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net>:

> <Avi>You're now an admin of that project.</Avi>
>
> Thanks!
>
> <Avi>If you asked me to do this earlier and I didn't see your message or
> forgot to do it, I apologize.</Avi>
>
> Actually, I did. In response to my message to the Squeak List on the matter,
> Phillippe Marschall made me a developer last December (before that, I had no
> access at all.)
>
> Unfortunately, at the time, my understanding of both SqueakSource and
> Monticello was too rudimentary to understand what I needed to ask for--and I
> also didn't understand how the Monticello naming/versioning system
> worked--and in addition I made more than one naming typo when saving
> versions--all of which resulted in a rather messy/confused situation for
> those viewing the Chronos project using a Monticello package browser (and
> y'all should take that as an apology.)
>
> If you or Phillippe would be so kind as to recommend the best way to fix up
> the versioning mess I made out of the Chronos package on SqueakSource, I'd
> appreciate it.

It kinda depends how your porting process looks so I can only give a
general reply. For more specific questions I can give more specific
answers.

- Remove all the versions you don't need, especially the old Avi
versions that noone should load (you can do that now that you're
admin). Even consider removing all versions and committing new ones
(make sure you have backups). Don't forget to remove the old versions
from SqueakMap (is there a reason someone would want to load an old
version?).
- Don't encode "Chronos versions" to Monticello filenames. Instead use
an internal mapping for "Monticello versions" to "Chronos versions"
and vice versa. You can use Monticello Confiturations for that or
something else. netstyle.ch has an automated build process where
Chronos can be automatically loaded into images in this way. The
people who load Chronos from Monticello will want the latest anyway.
Because you do the releases only you need to know about this mapping.

I hope this helps a bit. Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Cheers
Philippe