Alternative Thread Schedulers

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 21:56:01 UTC 2007

>From: <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Alternative Thread Schedulers
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:20:50 +0100
>
>At some point it would be nice to have some scheduling support for
>Exupery. When running as a background compiler Exupery runs in a
>separate, Squeak, process. Ideally, Exupery should be allowed all the
>time when nothing else is going on but not starved completely if the
>process is busy so the system can still optimize itself under load.
>
>Exupery shouldn't be able to starve other processes or get starved
>itself.
>
>Bryce

I think the scheduler I described would do this.  Theoretically it would be
possible for the high priority processes to keep using the CPU so that
Exupery never gets to run, but in practice I think the processes will either
stay off the CPU (which is why they are high priority) or if they do use the
processor too much they get demoted until they are at the same priority of
Exupery, at which point he can run.