Local SqueakSource Server

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:13:45 UTC 2007

I am trying to install a SqueakSource Server on my home machine
in order to try creating an email-based commit notifier. I have
tried several combinations of 3.7 image, 3.8 image, and 3.9
images

Things I have tried:
  into a full 3.7 or 3.8 image. This Installs fine, but does not
  run because DynamicBindings is missing.
  - After installing DynamicBindings from SqueakMap onto a 3.8
    image, the server fails when a page is loaded with:
    MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>title. I am not sure how
    to get a traceback.
  - I could not test on a 3.7 image, because I cannot load
    SqueakMap; It tries to update to 2.2, and fails.
- Following the instructions on the wiki page for
  http://source.squeakfoundation.org/ss/ fails because I cannot use
  SqueakMap; same problem as above
- Following the instructions at
  http://osdir.com/ml/lang.smalltalk.squeak.beginners/2006-12/msg00098.html
  on a squeak-dev-118 image works until I load the package
  http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/GraphViz-pmm.43.mcz , which fails
  with a syntax error on
  MacOSGraphVizGenerator>>runWithSystemFramework:
  - Trying on the recommended squeak-dev-62 image, Monticello fails
    with an error when reading the KomServices package:
    MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>readStream.
  - I try downloading the packages manually, and the web server
    says that http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/XML-Parser-mir.3.mcz
    cannot be found.

So, I tried four methods of installing SqueakSource, and ran into 5
show-stoppers. How can one install SqueakSource?