SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 1 19:18:26 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only people who are supposed to publish
>> packages to a Universe are the package maintainers, and they are not
>> supposed test everything when they bring a new package in.
>
> Ugh, what an embarrassing typo.  I need to upgrade my proof reader! :)

I figured it was a typo ;-) So the basic difference between SM and
Universes is that the latter uses a community policy (you "ought" not to
put bad things there) right? This sounds reasonable but can we then
please drop the silly nonsense about "guaranteed to work together"? If
you need a catchy marketing phrase, how about "community tested"? (in
the best of all worlds this is just what it would be)

Also, this only seems to emphasize the complementary nature of Universes
and SM. If, say, Universes would use SM as their "backend-storage" you
could have your cake and eat it too: Sets of community-tested packages
that are available for one-click install, and "all code ever written for
Squeak" available on SM for historical or porting purposes.

Cheers,
   - Andreas