squeak on iLiad

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 21:27:00 UTC 2007

I'm catching up with a few weeks of pending email, so apologies in
advance if anyone else has already done a better job of this...

On Oct 13, 2007, at 3:22 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> anyone tried to put a squeak vm on an iRex iLiad
> or knows anything about it?

Here's just enough to get a mini image up and running:

   http://piumarta.com/tmp/squeak-iliad.tar.gz

Unpack the archive onto a USB drive, stick it in the top of your
ereader, navigate to it and then tap the icon.

The image size is (severely) limited by the amount of physical memory
available (although I didn't try very hard to activate swap).
Interaction is painful, with screen refresh being erratic and
intermittent.  The hacks that went in to support 8-bit StaticGrey are
too ugly to enumerate, but it should stay up long enough to convince
you that the iLiad, at least in its current form, is heavily
optimised for static content.

BTW: I think you might have to have enabled 'hacker mode' (by
installing the 'unbrickable' package) on your iLiad before it'll let
you run the above.  I've never tried it on a 'virgin' machine, so I
don't know.  It might work out of the box.

Provided as-is; install/run it at your own risk.

Cheers,
Ian