Mantis Experiment a Failure? Are we ready yet to move on? (was Re: [BUGFIX] SqueakMap is broken in 3.10)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Nov 5 22:10:30 UTC 2007

El 11/5/07 6:46 PM, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com> escribió:

> I'll just go ahead and preface this with my own claims of 'tiredness' or
> at least frustration.
>
> First the initial report was sent to the mailing list with something
> resembling the old scheme of bug/fix reporting (although not quite
> matching) rather than being posted to http://bugs.squeak.org/ .  I
> sighed deeply but decided to simply ignore it.
>
> Matthew kindly tried to move things in that direction, but with little
> apparent success.
>
> Now I notice that you (Goran) don't once mention below the option of
> adding a report on Mantis under the SqueakMap category.
>
> It has now been three years since we started with Mantis and deprecated
> the old report to list method.  And yet new reports still occasionally
> appear on the list.
>
> Yes, it's true that this is still the functionality that appears in the
> image.  I'll accept that as the primary reason new reports continue to
> appear on the list.
>
> All I can say is "Is anyone itching enough yet to actually build a
> system we will use?"  I think it's pretty clear by now that Mantis does
> not represent such a system.  I'll be the first to admit that Mantis
> doesn't cause me to want to scratch very much and so I have no
> confidence that I can define a system that will be accepted.
>
> Too be more than a little blunt, it's time for all of us to put up or
> shut up.  A few of us have complained about Mantis in the past.  I'm not
> going to name names but I think it's time for those who don't feel like
> Mantis is a workable solution to start seriously thinking about the
> shape of a significantly more appropriate solution.
>
> Ken

Not a failure.
I find Mantis very valuable and think (as I put in some mail) some bugs
reports deserve showing to students for how a bug was find , what several
Squeakers have to say about, proposed and developed solutions, etc.

If good Squeaker  forget do reports or he is too busy , we could wait some
more time.
Or someone here notice and do the report.

Maybe some could do a Squeak front end to Mantis for easier and to hand way
?
Edgar

P.S. And Squeakmap  always works in 3.10 ...