EndOfStream unused

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Nov 7 04:46:08 UTC 2007

Yes, only 129 senders of signal, 95 of signal: in 3.10, some in tests.
and
   Exception allSubclasses size. 73, some unused.
There were no Exception in st-80...

Block is very convenient for my simple task. I like it.
But would introduce a rewrite of a lot more methods if applied to files
(see the *FileStream basicNext and all this mess).

And Exception is more general. It can be handled in various ways.

As for efficiency, passing some extra arguments at each loop might also
be less efficient than performing an Exception once at end if stream is
long enough...
...as illustrated by Andreas like bench:

data := (1 to: 100000) asArray.
[1 to: 5 do:[:i|
     stream := streamClass on: data.
	atEnd := false.
     [stream nextIfAtEnd: [atEnd := true]. atEnd] whileFalse.
]] timeToRun.

971 instead of 260 for stream next == nil, and 255 for EndOfStream
Exception...