Debugging a headless image

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Nov 8 14:41:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:28 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 08/11/2007 alle 15.25 +0100, Norbert Hartl ha scritto:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:16 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
> > > works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
> > > -headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
> > > possible cause or on how to debug it?
> > >
> > Are you using the RemoteFramebuffer as VNC connection or do you use
> > a native one. With -headless you have to use the RemoteFramebuffer
> > from inside squeak because there is no other framebuffer to copy
> > from.
> >
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/
>
> No, I used the vncviewer that comes with Debian Sarge. But the problem
> isn't related to RFB/VNC, since when I run the image headless I can't
> even telnet the WAKom instance that is running.

Is WAKom running? check with

netstat -atn | grep [yourport] | grep LISTEN

If there is a listening socket than everything should be ok. If it is
not running try a little startup script with content

WAKom startUp

Then you can specify the port of the WAKom by issuing

squeak -headless squeak.image [full-path-to-startscript] port 9090

It should then start on port 9090. So

netstat -atn | grep 9090 | grep LISTEN

should give the output you need.

Norbert