Smalltalk and Java

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Nov 9 19:27:25 UTC 2007

Bergel, Alexandre wrote:
> In the case of Athena this is not true (yet) since there is no JIT. But
> it would not be surprising if a smalltalk program compiled for a JVM has
> a better performance than the same program on the standard squeak VM.

Interesting. To me, it would be surprising, simply because all I've seen
in that direction like Jython, or Dan's Squeak-on-Java had significantly
worse performance compared when run on top of the JVM compared to their
"native" interpreter.

However, I would be *extremely* interested in having a data point to the
opposite.

Cheers,
   - Andreas