OT - Mailing List Admin question

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sat Nov 10 12:38:37 UTC 2007

Norbert Hartl schrieb:

> In my experience the most effective spam prevention is to use
> greylisting [1].
Yes that's pretty good, too. Since some spammers have adapted to
greylisting I have been using different greylist times depending on the
reverse DNS of the sender IP. If it is unknown or looks like a dynamic
address, the time is one hour, otherwise 5 minutes. That works pretty well.
> Next is text heuristics. I have some email addresses
> which are older than 12 years and I think it's assured they are
> one any avalaible email list.
Text heuristics are ok for individual mailboxes, but for a mail server
operator there can be legal problems if mail bodies are inspected.
Of course, a mailing list operator might employ any filter heuristics
he/she deems ok.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin