OT - Mailing List Admin question

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Sat Nov 10 12:50:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 13:38 +0100, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Norbert Hartl schrieb:
> >
> > In my experience the most effective spam prevention is to use
> > greylisting [1].
> Yes that's pretty good, too. Since some spammers have adapted to
> greylisting I have been using different greylist times depending on the
> reverse DNS of the sender IP. If it is unknown or looks like a dynamic
> address, the time is one hour, otherwise 5 minutes. That works pretty well.
> > Next is text heuristics. I have some email addresses
> > which are older than 12 years and I think it's assured they are
> > one any avalaible email list.
> Text heuristics are ok for individual mailboxes, but for a mail server
> operator there can be legal problems if mail bodies are inspected.
> Of course, a mailing list operator might employ any filter heuristics
> he/she deems ok.

(Just a quick note. I don't think we should extend the topic on this
list)

It depends. You can do everything with incoming mail as long as your
customers agree to it. We deliver detected spam to a specific folder.
There are two additional folders for the users to notify the system
about "false positives" and "false negatives". So the system can "learn"
what is considered as spam.

Norbert