An interesting view on social groups and their problems

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 16:02:40 UTC 2007

Hello Bert,

BF> Does anybody here still subscribe to the idea that Smalltalk should
BF> be a system in particular for non-experts? That certainly was its
BF> original motivation. It also has largely failed in that regard,
BF> though not necessarily so on technical reasons.

Yes I do, actually that's what's attracted me to Squeak. I'm an
engineer and I need a software toolbox. Think Matlab.

Squeak is brought ahead right now by Software people so it goes into
their direction, not towards non expert users. (Which is ok, as they
do the work.) But in the end a small modularized kernel will help non
expert users too. If it has easy access to the wealth of existing code
which was in older images it will even be attractive for them.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net