An interesting view on social groups and their problems

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 16:50:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 5:57 AM, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, for me personally, do I want Smalltalk to be mainstream like C#
> and Java?  Never.  Becoming mainstream currently means getting flooded
> by a bunch of people who should not be programming.

Ever since 1981, I've subscribed to the view put forth by Dan Ingalls

The purpose of the Smalltalk project is to provide computer support for the
creative spirit in everyone.
Design Principles Behind
Smalltalk<http://users.ipa.net/%7Edwighth/smalltalk/byte_aug81/design_principles_behind_smalltalk.html>

There are plenty of smart people with different objectives than language
enthusiasts and computer scientists, but the beauty of Smalltalk is that
those objectives don't have to be mutually exclusive. Smalltalk by
definition is more than a  programming language. It's perfectly fine to
create something but it's not Smalltalk/Squeak.

C# and Java are
> both charging down the path of complexity as fast as they can, and
> this is what I would most want to avoid in Smalltalk.  When you go
> mainstream then you have people with some stupid reason they need just
> one more operator, precedence level and so on.  People came to Java to
> avoid the complexity of C++,

A careful look at the history Java seems to indicate otherwise. Java didn't
replace C++ in the business world because C++ never got rooted there outside
of engineering and embedded apps.
... Java filled a vacuum created by the Smalltalk community. Moreover, it
was only able to fill this vacuum riding the Smalltalk-based VisualAge IDE
that Eclipse was born from.
Smalltalk Reloaded: Bits of History From the Golden
Age<http://squeak.funkencode.com/2007/11/10/smalltalk-reloaded-bits-of-history-from-the-golden-age/>

> but all the people that caused that
> complexity came along too and soon Java will be worse then C++ ever
> was.
>
> Do I want Smalltalk to be obscure?  No of course not.  I think a good
> language to look up to is Haskell.  They manage to create for
> themselves a reputation for simply being too hard to grasp, so mostly
> only smart people came.  This is what Smalltalk needs.  More smart
> people.  We need better, faster VM's, libraries, solutions to hard
> problems.  We don't need the masses from C++ et al coming here
> "solving" these issues the same terrible ways they solved them in
> their languages.
>
> I understand Tim's (and countless others) point about career
> opportunities, but if Smalltalk became the language of choice for
> sitting in a cubicle in a huge organization grinding out the same
> meaningless, boring code year after year, would that be a victory?

While this stereotypical situation does exist, there are also a lot of
individuals and small groups of extreme programmers doing the same thing -
some of them are even using Smalltalk :-) OTOH, there are highly skilled and
creative people at large corporations using mainstream tools that make it
possible for reliable semiconductors, satellites and airplanes to be
designed, built and operated. Without these people, we wouldn't be able to
have this conversation.

I believe that with a bit more focus on enlightened self interest, the
various factions of the Squeak community can have their cake and eat it too.

Laurence