Smalltalk and Java

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Nov 11 21:19:13 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2007/11/11, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> Cees de Groot wrote:
>>>>
>>> Why - because Microsoft is The Bad Guy and Sun is The Good Guy?
>> No, it's because I need to run on a variety of platforms and I need
>> cross-platform libraries to work with.
>
> What's wrong with Squeak?

For the situations I'm thinking about, mostly lack of basic acceptance.
We tried to get NASA to use Croquet for some of their next-gen stuff but
it was a complete no-go. They used Java for all the reasons mentioned
but if there would've been a way of integrating efficiently we might
have had a chance (they'll likely be using Jython or Scala instead now).

Cheers,
   - Andreas