3.9.1 (was: Re: Preliminary new Yaxo version)

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Thu Nov 15 08:09:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 06:56 , Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> Maybe it's time to think about Squeak 3.9.1?
>>>
>>> 	Giovanni
>>>
>> I did think about it for a long while, there are/were scripts
>> available
>> with bugs to be harvested for this...
>> but to be honest I conceded that 3.10 is as good a 3.9.1 as you are
>> likely to get.
>
> That is not true for someone who uses 3.9 in production settings.
> For anyone who is using a particular version of Squeak in
> production the step to the next version needs to be very carefully
> evaluated. Providing a small set of fixes addressing the most
> important problems without fear "what else it may break" is a very
> valuable service. Unfortunately, few people in the Squeak community
> seem to understand that.

Indeed.

At netstyle.ch we are using 3.9 for many projects now and we will not
move to 3.10 soon. We're using some of the critical fixes, so
basically that means we already have our own 3.9.1 image...
I assume, quite some people are using 3.9 in production as well. So,
if somebody is interested we could join forces and release a 3.9.x
from time to time.

Adrian