ANSI Smalltalk

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Nov 15 09:39:17 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Bruce Badger" <bwbadger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/11/2007, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:

> > > I think so.  This is not a matter of jingoism but rather a matter of
> > > reusing what we already have instead of starting from scratch.
> >
> > Whether that's valuable or not depends on what you want to accomplish.
> >
> > What do you want to accomplish?
>
> I'd like to see increased consistency between Smalltalk dialects so I
> can write an app or library on one dialect and run it on another.  I
> already can do that with Sport, but I would prefer that Sport was not
> needed.
>
> ANSI is a workable means to that end.

Please note that not all share the "idea" that Squeak is "just another
Smalltalk". IMHO Smalltalk *as a standard* is dead - the existing ANSI
hasn't evolved for ages AFAIK.

I much rather see Squeak move ahead at the front (for example by
introducing Traits) and start reshaping - than to exist solely as an
"open source Smalltalk".

regards, Göran