Feedback for News Team - Links on Weekly Squeak

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 22:11:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 7:43 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some blog links were added to the Weekly Squeak.

Hi Ron,

That was me experimenting with the blog-roll function - I'm sorry to
say I wasn't aware of the function of planet.squeak.org, and so I'd
started replicating its role! My apologies to all for any confusion
caused.

> When I asked why the only
> comment I got was that we have a blog aggregator already
> http://planet.squeak.org (which I took as a suggestion that these links are
> not necessary)
>
> What I'd like to ask everyone is this:
>
> 1) Should the Weekly Squeak have external links on it?
>         1a) If you think we should have links what links should we have?
>         1b) What should be the criteria, and process for changing the list?

Interesting question - one thing I hadn't realised until you asked it
is that we don't even have a link to the Squeak homepage from
news.squeak.org at the moment! Adding that seems a good idea.

> 2) Should we replace these links with internal links like planet.squeak.org?

It's neater to maintain the list once, so I'm happy that we should
replace what I've done with a link to planet.squeak.org. That does
raise one point though: it might be confusing if people clicked on
such a link to find it contained many articles that they had just read
on news.squeak.org. Is there any value in treating news.squeak.org and
planet.squeak.org as separate feeds - ie separating the news from the
personal articles? That would also make it possible for sites to show
headlines from both news.squeak and planet.squeak, which would help
raise the visibility of the latter.

Cheers,
Michael