64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Nov 27 17:01:30 UTC 2007

You should not lump together a 64 bit image and a 64 bit VM. The FAQ
actually goes to considerable length explaining the difference.

As long as nobody actually needs a 64 bit image, progress will be
slow in that department. Who's going to invest serious time just for
a bit of hype? And who is actually held off because a 32 bit image
can only grow to 4 GB? I don't really expect people flocking towards
Squeak if we just had better 64 bit support.

A 64 bit VM, yes, sure, because there are platforms who cannot easily
run 32 bit binaries. OS X fortunately is not 32 bit impaired. And in
theory, a 64 bit VM could also be faster because of less register
pressure, but no benchmarks have confirmed this yet. Looking forward
to those, Dave is doing a great job.

- Bert -