Squeak News Team Report Sept 2007 (was: PR Team Follow Up)

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon Oct 1 01:45:41 UTC 2007

Hi all,

FWIW I've tried submitting Weekly Squeak articles to Slashdot a number of
times without success.  Other times articles topics I wrote about but didn't
submit got accepted after being submitted by others, (OLPC related).  I
regularly submit to reddit, and that has worked well.  I just signed up for
digg to help a story someone suggested needed digging but find I don't have
much time to go through many aggregators.  (I'm not even really sure how
digg works, but I like reddit)

If I don't get down voted on reddit it usually brings in 3-4 hundred hits,
and for really good or interesting articles it can easily bring in >5
hundred.  Once reddit pushes us into the top blogs on wordpress, we usually
get a few hundred more hits.

There are definitely a group of Smalltalk skeptics.  It seems odd to me that
the most hostile Smalltalk critics are Haskell and Lisp programmers.  Seems
odd, like yelling at your own family!  I certainly don't have anything
against Haskell or Lisp, so I usually do not respond.

Thank you again to our new Weekly Squeak contributors, Michael Davies and
Brad Fuller.  The new articles were responsible for increasing our hits for
Sept to 14,474 (from around 10K in July and August).  The articles are
really great, thank you!

We had a total of 9 articles posted in September.

Our best day was 1398 hits.

Our top article was:
http://news.squeak.org/2007/09/21/qwaq-intel-collaborate-on-enhanced-virtual
-workspace-product/  which had 1500 hits.

If you would like to volunteer to help the Weekly Squeak please let me know.
This is a great way to help your Squeak community.

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak News Team Leader