Sophie plugins source code?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 1 19:48:35 UTC 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Sophie relies on FFI for Quicktime media, so much of the media
> playback functionality is missing under Linux. A very nice
> community project would be adding gstreamer-based Linux media
> playback.
>
> - Bert -

I'll note that the Sophie movie player attempts to resolve which
technology to use when the video/audio is set up.
The first choice is Quicktime, the second is the older squeak MPEG
plugin. For audio other choices besides Quicktime, Sophie may involve
the SampledSoundAudio support (WAV or AIFF)

The Sophie team spent numerous days  trying to setup a gstreamer
environment but we were defeated by the confused state of the
gstreamer offering.
I don't recall we were even able to compile and link C code examples,
so much for easy to use offerings.

However other Linux developers are welcome to try.

For clues please see the SophieMPEGAudio, SophieMPEGMovie, or
SophieSampledSoundAudio for subclassing suggestions

===