Squeaksource (in)stability

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Oct 2 20:14:55 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2007/10/2, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> Help! This is completely unusable. If I hadn't added my little patch
>> that recovers the versions involved in the lock up there would be open
>> mutiny here by now. How can you run a Squeaksource installation with a
>> *bit* of stability?
>
> Hey, it's open source man! Either pay me a million dollars of fix it yourself.
>
> If you want something reliable use professional software like Apache +
> WebDAV or Gemstone.
>
> *just kidding*

Well, I'm not. I'd be perfectly happy to pay my share if someone were to
offer a solution that actually works. Not quite a million dollars but a
couple of hundred for sure. After all it's our source repository we are
talking about.

> I don't want to point fingers but all the information we have so far
> hints that the bug is not in SqueakSource but in Squeak itself or the
> VM (Sockets, Delays, Semaphores, ....). If you have some evidence that
> points to SqueakSource I'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks I'll try this. I hadn't applied these changes to that particular
image (mostly because I try to touch a working installation as little as
possible) but to the best of my understanding of the situation the
problem always occurs when it tries to save a snapshot of the data.
Which is really not that surprising if you consider what I wrote a while
back about saves being locked against each other but not serialized with
incoming modification requests.

Cheers,
   - Andreas