[ANN] Tuio - Tangible User Interaction by video tracking physical objects.

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at rnid.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 08:04:14 UTC 2007

"Simon Holland" <s.holland at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have just uploaded the first version of Tuio for Squeak.
>
> Tuio allows Squeak to use the reacTIVision computer vision system to track
> physical objects in real time. The package includes a Tuio client and
> demonstration application program. To make practical use of Tuio for
Squeak
> you will need a webcam or other camera, and should download the free
> Reactivision application for your operating system.  To learn more, see
> http://mcs.open.ac.uk/sh2/squeakmusic.html).
>
> Tuio for Squeak makes it easy to build tangible user interfaces using
> fiducial markers on physical objects.
>
> Tuio for Squeak allows the rapid development of table-based tangible user
> interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.

Fantastic stuff!

There's also the NUI group [1] and David Wallin [2] working on multitouch
UIs. David Wallin, in particular, works on touchlib [3], a TUIO-based
multitouch library. touchlib will (AFAIK) be adding fiducial support as well
[4].

Simon, with your TUIO client - does this mean that one could use other
libraries (say, touchlib) to send data to Tuio for Squeak?

Since touchlib's licence is the New BSD Licence, this might address Howard
Stearns' licence concerns.

frank

[1] http://www.nuigroup.com/
[2] http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/blog/