[ANN] Tuio - Tangible User Interaction by video tracking physical objects.

grit grit at impara.de
Fri Oct 5 11:59:30 UTC 2007

I am building a multi-touch screen using FTIR [1].
I installed Touchlib on Windows and it communicates with Squeak through OSC
(Open Sound Control) and it works fine.
Since you can download ready-to-use executables for Windows [2] it was very
easy to set it up. I haven't tried the OS X version, yet.
Yes, Touchlib uses the 2D Tuio protocol.

[1] http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirsense/
[2] http://nuigroup.com/touchlib/downloads/

Regards, Grit.

Thanks Frank. That’s very useful.
Since touchlib now uses the TUIO protocol, I would be very surprised if Tuio
for Squeak did not work with touchlib right away (possibly after adjusting a
port number), and I would expect the basic demo app to run too. However, I
haven’t tested it yet, as the install for Touchlib on OS X seems a bit
daunting – it was Windows-only originally. I will investigate but  would be
interested to hear from anyone with touchlib already running on any platform
(it wouldn’t be that hard to do a quick collaborative test over the net).

I’m assuming that  touchlib uses the  2D Tuio protocol, rather than the 2.5D
or 3D, though it would be no big deal to extend Tuio for Squeak to deal with
those – I’ll investigate just in case touchlib uses any little used parts of
OSC and Tuio.