A fully late bound namespace proposal

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 02:43:41 UTC 2007

On 10/4/07, Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> The last few weeks I started thinking about an alternative or rather,
> complimentary approach. Mike - yes, this post is long too - but it is a
> full new proposal so bear with me.

Call me "Gulik" - it's more unique and is better than
Squeak::Namespaces::Michael :-P.

> Well, I would actually consider going in the OPPOSITE direction inspired
> by Dan etc. Why not just go *fully late bound*? It would solve lots of
> problems - like dynamic remapping of spaces without any recompilation
> needed.

I'd want to see some actual performance comparisons of this approach before
I'm convinced. It sounds very slow.

Plus keep in mind that developers like dynamic remapping, but it would be a
useless feature for end-users. Users load code once and never modify code,
and if the approach comes at a significant speed cost then this is unfair to
the users.

I plan to get around the limitations of compile-time binding (which I agree
are annoying) by adding support to the tools to rebind an entire package
with a couple of mouse clicks.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg