Squeak BOF at OOPSLA?!

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Oct 10 08:28:09 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Bergel, Alexandre" <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi Goran,
>
> Excellent idea!
> What about Monday evening ? Dynamic Languages Symposium is on that
> very day. We could advertise the BOF in the symposium.

I intend to attend most of DLS, but the BOF has almost always been on
tuesday evening - I haven't investigated the schedule in detail so I
can't respond to if monday would be better.

> I cannot access the program of OOPSLA right now, but there is a talk
> from Fred Brooks on Wednesday morning and one from Kiczales on
> Thursday morning. The morning talks starts at 8:30. Quite early.

I think most mornings "start early" :)

> Having the BOF the night before may be harsh. Also, I do not know
> about the banquet and so on.
>
> Montreal is full of pubs and coffees. We could simply meet in front
> of the hotel and then move somewhere. What about 19:00 (DSL ends at
> 18:00) in the lobby of Hyatt Regency hotel?

Generally the BOF attracts about 20-50 people at least. Canada may mean
less people - but I wouldn't bet on it. And the main ingredience of the
BOF are more or less improvised or prepared demos and presentations of
stuff done in/for/with Squeak using a projector.

Thus, even though I expect to hang out with lots of Smalltalkers
drinking beer - I don't think a pub will work for the actual BOF. :) But
definitely after it, and on other evenings.

> Cheers,
> Alexandre

cheers, Gšran

PS. I got some personal email verifying that it was indeed not possible
to get a new account and edit the OOPSLA wiki - perhaps it is fixed now
though.