Chunk format [was: DeltaStreams file-out format and class model]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Oct 10 16:51:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:12:06 +0200, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

>> successors
>> >
>> > Maybe I should have wrote "the idea goes back", not chunk format
>> itself.
>> > The idea to have the data itself specify how to be processed comes
>> from
>> > there - the tapes had a loader program in front that reads the rest of
>> > the tape. I don't know much about the details.
>>
>> Ah, the clear/start & halt/load tapes :) still in use in emergency
>> situations, when disks are down. Will tell my colleagues about
>> clar/start's usage in Smalltalk code file chunks :)
>
> I think Bert might have been thinking of the Burroughs 220 tape

EletroData's Datatron 220?

- http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/ead/cbi/cbi00090-036.xml

> format
> used in Air Training Command installation which was mentioned by Alan
> Kay in his "The Early History Of Smalltalk".

Thanks for the reference Jecel. Alas, the clear/start tapes (small+medium
systems) and halt/load tapes (large systems) concept survived the whole
Burroughs story and so have the chunks to which Bert referred to :)

> Since most problems in computing can be solved by adding another level
> of indirection, it might be nice to extend the chunk format so that when
> you got an error while trying to create a reader due to missing classes
> there were some hint on how to fix the problem automatically (by
> downloading another file).

Yeah, that's always fascinating with software: adding another level of
complexity is always possible, whereas subtracting one might trouble you
with existence problems :)

/Klaus