Refactoring browser

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Oct 12 18:55:24 UTC 2007

2007/10/11, Gwenaël Casaccio <mrgwen at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> For my master dissertation I'll work on the refactoring tools. Do
> you have
> any suggestions to improve the refactoring browser and to add better
> refactorings ?

I'd like to see a new group of refactorings that can be invoked from
the debugger. For example: ExtractMethod. When invoked from the
debugger it would extract the method just like the RB does, then
"split" the existing activation context into two and hook them up to
the new methods. Or the reverse - InlineMethod would merge the two
activation contexts.

Also, in the debugger you have perfect knowledge of the types
involved, so you don't have to do any of this "You're smarter than
the RB type inferencer" stuff.

Colin