Maketext library

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 04:39:19 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> So maketext allows the translator to not only translate phrases, but
> put in Perl code to generate them. Fine.

Put in code to generate them, yes.  Perl just happened to be the first
place I've seen this implemented.

> But most translators are not hackers and vice versa.

For sure.

> And going with
> an established system has its merits even though it may be not quite
> perfect (although gettext actually does handle multiple plural
> forms). There is a whole lot of infrastructure built around gettext
> already. At least that's why we went with gettext for Etoys now
> (https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/).
>
> - Bert -

Doesn't gettext handle the plural forms by making you put in a
translation for each case, in every language?  Did you read the
"horror story" part from the second link I sent?  If that story is
bogus then gettext is probably fine.